Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In the Wake of Tragedy


     Running has always been a safe place for me, a way for me to relax, blow off steam, or just get lost in thought. I love the peacefulness of it and just being out in God’s creation. This week though that safe place was broken into and violated. Though I was not in Boston when the bombs went off, I still feel the effects. The images of runners and spectators laying on the ground in a bloody mess are burned in my mind. I am trying to wrap my mind around what it must’ve been like to in one instant experiencing the euphoria of crossing the finish line of a marathon, let alone the Boston marathon, and then in the next experiencing the chaos and terror of two explosions. 
       Three people dead and over 100 injured a senseless tragedy that will not soon be forgotten.  The people of Boston and those impacted by this will long be in our thoughts and prayers.  The pain runs deep, but there is a silver lining. Just as we saw a surge of patriotism in the days following the attacks of September 11th, we have again seen people band together and reach out to help. As one person wrote, "there was one person who did bad, but thousands who we saw doing good."  There was a spreadsheet that began circulating hours after the blasts happened in which displaced runners could connect with local residents offering a place for them to stay. There are countless stories of those who helped the injured such as the stranger who carried a young girl who was severely maimed five blocks to safety or the countless people who heard the blasts and instead of running to safety, ran into harm's way so they could help whoever possible. The New York Yankees (Boston’s biggest rivals) even showed their support by playing one of Boston’s signature songs during a break in their game.
      What happened this past Monday was something we would never have expected to see and hope to never see again, but as with any crisis, it will not tear us apart, but only make us stronger. Some people may think twice before entering some of the bigger races, but I think for the most part, more people will be inspired to join the running community than will be turned away.  As for me, I plan to continue to enjoy my morning runs for as long as possible though maybe now a little more grateful and not taking them as much for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment