Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This past Saturday I raced in the Azalea Trail 10k over in Mobile, AL.  Matt was busy studying all day for his CPA test coming up this weekend, so my mom drove over with me and cheered me on.  I really am blessed with an incredibly supportive family.  This race is the Road Runners Club of America's 10k National Championship race, so it always brings some good competition.  This year there were about 10 elite Africans that came to race on top of some good American runners.  I ended up having a really good race.  I went into it feeling pretty fresh and was able to execute the way I was hoping.  I finished in 41:10, which was a personal record (PR), good enough for 5th in my age group, 12th overall female, and eighth overall American female.  
Before the race

A few of the elites getting ready




On Sunday morning, Multisport Performance Institute (my coaches) held a kids duathlon (run,bike,run) in downtown Pensacola, for which I was the head of the run course.  Me and Matt got down there around 5am to help set up and the kids started arriving around 7 o'clock.  There were about 25 kids from Aletheia who did the race and they were all so excited.  The weather was great, in the 70's without much wind, and the race went off without a hitch.  Almost all of the kids finished with a smile on their face.  It was so fun to see them introduced to a healthy lifestyle and to help them realize that exercise can actually be fun.  Who knows, maybe one of our future Olympians' career was sparked at that race :-)
The kids from Alethiea who did the duathlon

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on your race, Dustin!! We are in awe of your racing ability! Love you!

    ReplyDelete